Monday, May 16, 2011

HW#55: Culminating Project - Care of the Dead

After watching the film, “A Family Undertaking” I became interested in the idea of a home funeral. However, the film mentioned New York as a state that does not allow home funerals. To make sure, I looked it up: “In all, there are only six states that demand a funeral director be involved in the burial process: Connecticut, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Nebraska and New York. Each of these states has laws on the books that require a licensed funeral director be involved in the handling of human remains.” (Green Funerals & Burials-Home Funerals) I found it really ironic that there are laws restricting the deceased to be taken care of by their loved ones who have raised them and brought them up since the day they were born. I decided to look up laws and regulations on home funerals in New York State to see the limitations on what can be done to people after death.

I started by looking at a report on the health care industry which has a small section on New York. Most of the information there only talked about inspections on funerals and facts I found uninteresting. The only relevant information was this, “Requires all funeral homes (also called “funeral firms”) to register with the State, whereas funeral directors are required to hold a license to operate in the state and this license also authorizes them to perform embalming.” (United States General Accounting Office) So does this mean there are cases where home funerals are allowed?

After looking through a few websites, I found something that finally caught my attention: “The Funeral Consumers Alliance of L.I. /NYC has arranged with a local funeral home to offer a Home Funeral plan that complies with New York State law. The options range from simply having the viewing or visitation at home with the funeral director transporting and preparing the body to having the family completely care for the body except for the funeral director obtaining the authorizations required by law and arranging for a funeral director to be present at the final point of disposition.” (Have you considered a Home Funeral?) I decided to look more into this organization’s funeral plans.

I found some hopeful information on their home funeral section. Though New York State does restrict families to care for their own dead close ones, it is not impossible. Their website mentioned that as long as there is a funeral director who signs the death certificate and other necessary forms, and be there at the ‘final point of disposition’ families can still care for the dead body. I e-mailed them to confirm, and received a reply from the co-president of the organization with the following:
"Hi Megumi
New York does allow home funerals, but it is necessary to hire a funeral director for certain purposes. Go to our web site www.NYfunerals.org and download the pamphlet, Home Funerals in New York. I think that it will be helpful to you."
The phamplet on their website mentioned requirements of having a funeral director involved in the process, but it is fine to let families be the ones to care for the body before the body is taken to get buried or cremated.

It was a bit frustrating attempting to research anything further. I wanted to know the restriction in New York State in more detail but most websites mentioned the growing idea of home funerals in general. It seems that there are some ways to do something like a home funeral in the state, but a funeral director just has to be there to either watch over or transport the body. In the states restricting the rights of families to care for the dead of their loved ones, there seems to be this ‘I have to supervise’ attitude according to the Funeral Consumers Alliance. This made me think back on the interview I called for with a funeral director who had negative feelings toward home funerals. The ‘traditional’ way to care for the dead only happened within a few years. It was normal before for families to care for the dead bodies of their loved ones-why is there now a need to hand over the body to strangers? What do they know about the person who died? They are just doing their job, and there’s nothing personal about that.

It’s a bit reassuring though, that there are ways to get around the restrictions of home funerals in the state. It just does not make sense to me why there’s a whole process to deal with a funeral director. It is as if families are not trusted to care for their loved ones. This made me think more about having home funerals. Death isn’t something to look forward to, but just because it upsets us does not mean we should avert our eyes from reality and turn to strangers to carry out the whole process.

Citations:
*"Green Funerals & Burials - Home Funerals." Funeral Wise. FuneralWise, 2010. Web. 16 May 2011.
*"Have you ever Considered a Home Funeral?." nyfunerals.org. Funeral Consumers Alliance of L.I/NYC, 11 Feb 2008. Web. 16 May 2011.
*Hoffman, Elvira. Message to co-President, FCA of L.I./NYC. 16 May 2011. E-mail.
*Nelligan, Jeff. United States. Death Care Regulation Varies across States and by Industry Segment. The General Accounting Office, 2003. Web. 16 May 2011.
*Slocum, Joshua . "Caring For Your Own Dead: Myths and Facts ." Funeral Consumers Alliance. Funeral Consumers Alliance, 30 Jan 2009. Web. 16 May 2011.

6 comments:

  1. I think you did a very good job compiling your research. Not only was it a good idea to start by looking back to the previous illness and dying unit (sort of) by viewing the health care report, the fact that you actually took the time to send that e-mail was very impressive to me. One of my favorite lines was, "It’s a bit reassuring though, that there are ways to get around the restrictions of home funerals in the state." I liked this because you acknowledge that although it is not usually a good thing to dodge the law, certain restrictions neither promote the funeral or burial experience. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megumi -

    Well done. Your essay was concise, and included some very good information. As someone who is considering a home funeral, this post was significant to me personally. My favorite line was, "The ‘traditional’ way to care for the dead only happened within a few years. It was normal before for families to care for the dead bodies of their loved ones-why is there now a need to hand over the body to strangers? " I wonder though what the norm might shift to next or if the practices we predominantly see throughout society today are here to stay. I hope that in the near future (sometime soon) New York will pass a law making it legal to care for the body without a funeral director. Even though this is possible with the director supervising it seems like there is probably a lot of pressure coming from the director towards the customer. Overall though this was a good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Mom:
    I thought this was very well written. Though I'm not really for home funerals, I do find it a bit strange that New York requires a funeral director to watch over the process when most states allow it. A line I liked was, "It just does not make sense to me why there’s a whole process to deal with a funeral director. It is as if families are not trusted to care for their loved ones." I don't necessarily agree that that is the reason for the restrictions NYS has for caring the dead, but there are aspects where society puts up a lot of rules/regulations that limits the choices we can make as individuals. Overall, I never knew about home funerals and this was an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megumi,

    After watching "A Family Undertaker" you mention that became interested in home funerals, so you decided to research more on this and also see if home funerals are restricted in New York State. I valued the topic of this project because it is a topic that was important to you personally being that you currently live in New York and might like to have a home funeral. I also after watching this documentary found home funerals interesting, they seemed more personal than the ones done at funeral homes. Your project mattered to me because now I know that I can choose to have a home funeral here in New York, of course with attendance of a funeral director. Enjoyed reading your post, only thing could have added to make it better would have been comparing it more to regular funerals, but besides that good job

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's interesting that you chose to focus on the aspect of funeral homes and care of the dead rituals in New York. "A family undertaking" was an informative movie because it helped me to think about different options for the care of the dead rather than the traditional model that is dominant in our society. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your essay and all of the research you did to find out more on home funerals in New York. I also found it interesting that New York is the only place were a funeral director is required which I didn’t know. I’m wondering now though why was it so hard for you to find more detailed info on home funerals in New York, why is it kept a secret? Personally I think its something that should be able to be accessed publically.

    ReplyDelete